Planning matters

Misplaced your Social Security 1099 form? We know where to go!

Tax season is officially here and you are likely gathering your tax forms and documentation from 2018 to make preparing your return as simple as possible, regardless if you are preparing your return yourself or using an outside tax professional.

One of the first tax forms mailed to recipients in January is the Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement. This statement shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. If you misplaced your copy, Social Security has made it easy for you to get a replacement copy. Here are a few options:

  • Use your ‘my Social Security account’ Go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with your ‘my Social Security’ account at my Social Security If you do not currently have a social security online account, it is easy to set one up. Go to and select the “Create an Account.” You will be asked some security questions to get the account set up. Optional account security features are available by providing additional information.
  • Call Social Security Another way to get in touch with Social Security is by calling their toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. They are available between 7 am to 7 pm, Monday through Friday.
  • Visit your Social Security office Take a field trip to your local Social Security office with proper identification and they can help. Vancouver’s office is at 805 Broadway street, Suite 500 and Portland’s office is at 1538 SW Yamhill Street.