What is Smart 911 and why would I need to sign up for it?
Would you know what to do if you or someone you love suffered a medical emergency?
Smart 911 is a service that allows Clark County residents to create a free Safety Profile for their household that includes important information for 9-1-1 operators and first responders to have in the event of an emergency. It allows you to answer questions about yourself, your family and your household.
When anyone in the household dials 9-1-1 from a phone associated with their Safety Profile, their profile is immediately displayed to the 9-1-1 operator. The profile provides additional information that can be used to initiate an appropriate response to the proper location. When a matter of seconds can mean life or death, Smart911 provides details that could impact a response the second an emergency call is placed.
The service is currently available in Clark County and serves Battle Ground, Camas, La Center, Ridgefield, Vancouver, Washougal and Yacolt, plus unincorporated areas of Clark County. If you live outside Clark County check with your local authorities to see if Smart 911 is available to you.
How Can I sign up?
You can sign up for Smart911 at Smart911.com. On the website you create a Safety Profile for your household to be shared with 9-1-1. It’s private, secure and you control what information is in your profile. These details can save seconds or even minutes during an emergency.
How Does Smart911 Help?
- Medical Conditions: Individuals affected by epilepsy, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, allergies, mental health or other medical conditions can utilize Smart 911 to inform responders of their conditions in advance as well as provide a list of current medications being taken and emergency contacts.
- Senior and Elderly Care: For seniors and the elderly, a Safety Profile can provide peace of mind that in the event of an emergency 9-1-1 will have details on their home, and medical needs. Caretakers can be assured if the person they care for needs to dial 9-1-1 when they are alone, their details are available and the caretaker can be listed as an emergency contact.
- Physical Disabilities: For those who have a physical disability or mobility restrictions, it is important for responders to know as much as they can about the person, their disability and what type of assistance or special equipment they may need to evacuate their home or receive transport.
- Pets and Service Animals: For individuals with pets or other animals a Safety Profile can alert police to their presence when entering a home and fire crews can be aware of exactly how many people and pets may need to be evacuated. Service animal owners can alert responders that your animal needs to be transported with you.
- General Emergencies: At any time we all have a risk of unplanned accidents or events. Whether you or in your vehicle or at home, even the most basic details such as the address association with a mobile phone can be available to 9-1-1 and the response teams can send help fast.
- Privacy: Privacy concerns are legitimate, and developers assure online users their prove information is safe because 911 operators cannot access Safety Profiles unless a 911 call is made from a registered phone number.
A Smart 911 Safety Profile can make you safer and more prepared when emergencies happen.
Written By Jeri Boston